Rabu, 13 Januari 2010

Bimbingan belajar 5

PEMERINTAH KABUPATEN BOJONEGORO
DINAS PENDIDIKAN
SMA NEGERI 1 BOJONEGORO
BIMBINGAN BELAJAR INTENSIF KELAS XII TAHUN PELAJARAN 2009/2010

Mata Pelajaran : Bahasa Inggris
Kelas : XII IPA/IPS
Pertemuan ke : V (Lima)

Text 1
Hospital is natural in my village. Guests arrived at any time of the day or night and they are always welcome. Nobody asks Why have you came? Or How long are you going to stay? They are fed, clothed and given present. When guests arrive they are offered a pot of water to wash their hands, face, and feet. Then they are given a mat or a chair to sit on. Previously, sherbet was offered, but now it is the custom to give a cup of tea, depending on the time of the day. Guests are never asked ‘Have you eaten?’ or ‘Would you like something to eat or drink?’ Food is placed before them and it is impolite for guests to refuse. Hospitality means giving yourself completely to guest and strangers.

1. What is the topic of the paragraph?
a. Guests and stranger. c. Rules of politeness e. The arrival of guests.
b. Hospitality in a village. d. Advice for guests.

2. What is the main idea of the text?
a. In the writer’s village, guests are always received warmly.
b. Guests have to wash their hands, face, and feet when they arrive.
c. The hosts never ask their visitors questions.
d. Guests are usually asked about the purpose of their visit.
e. It is impolite to refuse food and drink offered by the host.

Text 2
Progress is gradually being made in the fight of cancer. In the early 1990s. few cancer patients had any hope of long term survival. In the 1920s, the ratio was one in four. Currently, the ratio is down to one in three. The gain from one in four to one in three represents about 58.000 lived saved each year.

3. What is the topic of the paragraph?
a. The danger of cancer. c. The problem of cancer. e. The history of cancer
b. Cancer victims. d. Progress in the fight of cancer

4. What is the main idea of the text?
a. In the 1990s cancer patients had good hope of long-term survival.
b. The progress in fighting cancer result in the increasing number of survivals.
c. There is progress in preventing people from getting cancer.
d. Currently, the gain from the fight against cancer is the survival of 58.000 lives.
e. The number of cancer victims has gradually increased.

Text 3
Saudi Arabia is a country rich in oil, but poor in one of country’s most critical natural resources, fresh water. Without it, agriculture becomes extremely difficult and costly. Many areas are removing the salt from the sea water that surround the Arabian Penissula. Other efforts might be the floating of an ice cap all way to the north pole and the digging of wells to reach water that is underground.

5. What is the topic the paragraph?
a. Fresh water. d. Reason of water shortage.
b. How to improve agriculture. e. the shortage of fresh water in Saudi Arabia.
c. Problems faced by Saudi Arabia.




6. What is the main idea of the text?
a. Fresh water is one of the most critical natural resources of a country.
b. Several efforts are being made in Saudi Arabia to get fresh water.
c. Water supply in Saudi Arabia is provided by removing the salt from sea water.
d. Many areas in Saudi Arabia are inhabitable due to the lack of fresh water.
e. Agriculture in Saudi Arabia is difficult and costly.

Text 4
In recent years, Brazil has greatly increased its Gross National Product (GNP). Several factors have caused this change. First, Brazil has a favorable climate, abundant useful land, and excellent coastline, and many other resources. Second, it has a large number of workers available for employment in industry. Finally, Brazilian business and economic planners have encouraged investment.

7. What is the topic of the paragraph?
a. The factors leading to Brazil’s increase in its GNP
b. Brazil’s advantageous physical conditions
c. The changes in Brazil’s GNP
d. The policy of economic planner in Brazil
e. The number of workers in Brazil’s industry

8. What is that main idea of the text?
a. Brazil’s industry has grown rapidly, because of the large number of human resources
b. Brazil’s physical characteristic have contributed to the increase in Brazil’s GNP
c. Brazilia needs a lot of more investment to promote economic growth
d. There are three factors that have caused a rapid increase in Brazil’s GNP
e. Brazil GNP has greatly changed the face of Brazil’s economy

Text 5
Bisons have not always lived in North America they are relative new comers. They belong to the Bovidae family, like domestic casttle and the wild buffalo of Africa and Asia. The oldest known bison fossils have been found in China and the Himalaya foothills, where an animal with all the essential features of the genus lived a million years ago. They evolved rapidly and spread over most of the northern hemisphere in Europe and Siberia. During one of the Ice Ages, the sea level dropped, exposing a land bridge across the Bering Strait allowing the faunas of Asia and North America to intermingle. Very early, the steppe bison moved eastward to the North America Continent.

9. What is the topic of the paragraph?
a. The spread of bison from China and Himalaya to North America.
b. Types of bisons belonging to the Bovidae family.
c. The effect of the intermingling of Asian and North America faunas.
d. Place in the world where bisons lived.
e. The rapid evolution of bisons.

10. What is the main idea of the text?
a. Bisons are relative new comer in North America because they have lived in other parts of the
world.
b. The oldest known bison fossils have been found in China and the Himalaya foothills.
c. Bisons belong to the Bovidae family, like domestic castle and the wild of Africa and Asia.
d. From Asia bisons spread over most of the Northern hemisphere and came to North America
through the bering strait.
e. Bisons came to North America when the faunas of Asia and North America intermingled.

Text 6
Driving a car is a necessity in today’s society, and it is a special privilege. Getting a driver’s license is a complicated process. It is divided into four steps, study the traffic laws, taking the written test, learning to drive, and taking the driving test. Therefore, anyone who wants to drive must carry a driver’s license.


11. What is the topic of the paragraph?
a. The necessity of driving a car. d. Learning to drive.
b. The process of getting a driver’s license. e. The special privilege of driving a car.
c. Drivers in today’s busy society.

12. What is the main idea of the text?
a. Driving a car is necessity in today’s busy society.
b. Anyone who wants to drive must carry a driver’s license.
c. Driving a car is special privilege for busy people.
d. The four steps in getting a driver’s license is a complicated process.
e. Studying the traffic laws is included in the process of getting a driver’s license.

13. ‘I had not been able to support my family until I worked for Citibank’ means …..
a. I can never support my family although I am working for the citibank.
b. Before I worked for the citibank I could support my family
c. I could not support my family after I worked for citibank.
d. When I work for the citibank I will be able to support my family.
e. After working for the citibank, I could support my family.

14. I have to save money every month otherwise I won’t be able to take a vacation to Lombok.
The underlined words mean: …. to take a vacation to Lombok.
a. I certainly will be able c. therefore, I will be able e. besides I will be able
b. if I don’t I won’t be able d. but I will not be able

15. ….. all the students were seated, the teacher started the lesson.
a. if b. When c. Until d. So that e. Although

16. The river is heavily polluted by industrial wastes, nevertheless, many people ……
a. are still washing their clothes there d. do not allow their children to play there
b. complain about the danger threatening them e. are greatly concerned about it.
c. have become the victims of it

17. ‘I could not afford to buy that TV set until the price went down. means: …..
a. When the price went down, I bought the TV set
b. I did not buy the TV set because its price never went down
c. I had already bought the TV set before the price went down
d. The price of the TV set went down, however, I could not buy it
e. After I bought the TV set, the price went down

18. The child hid behind his mother ….. he was afraid of the dog.
a. for b. and c. or d. so e. yet

19. Father was so happy about his promotion …. he promised to take us to an expensive restaurant.
a. until b. when c. although d. that e. since

20. He does not earn much: however, he …..
a. works very hard for it d. can afford to make a trip to Europe
b. is unable to meet his daily necessities e. complains about his financial condition
c. was careful in spending his money

21. My uncle doesn’t earn much …. he can send his children to college.
a. however b. and c. therefore d. so e. hence

22. My neighbour is an employee with a modest income ….. his four children are all university students.
a. consequently c. otherwise e. nevertheless
b. in addition d. moreover


23. I’d never seen Panda bear until I visited the London Zoo, means …..
a. I didn’t go to London zoo until I saw a Panda bear
b. I visited the London zoo until I saw a Panda bear
c. I saw a Panda bear when I visited the London zoo
d. I didn’t see a Panda bear when I visited the London zoo
e. When I entered a London zoo I immediately saw a Panda bear

24. I got the library at one o‘clock, and it started raining immediately.
We can also say: …..
a. It started raining as soon as I got to the library
b. It had started raining before I got to the library
c. It started raining when I was walking to the library
d. When I got to the library, it was, already raining
e. The rain started some time before I went to the library

25. I had not been able to support my family until I worked for Citibank, means …..
a. I can never support my family although I am working for the Citibank
b. Before I worked for the Citibank I could support my family
c. I could not support my family after I worked for Citibank
d. When I work for the Citibank I will be able to support my family
e. After working for the Citibank, I could support my family

26. I asked Bob ……
a. where did he come from? c. from which he came? e. from where is she?
b. from where was he coming? d. where he came from?

27. The teacher asked the lazy student …. The English classes.
a. why hadn’t he attended c. hadn’t he attended e. how often he had attended
b. when had he attended d. that he attended

28. The girl begged the robber …..
a. don’t take my money c. not to take her money e. he’d better not take her money
b. not taking her money d. he didn’t take her money

29. Which of the following sentences has the CORRECT punctuation?
a. The teacher told the students, “Don’t use pencils in exams!”
b. The teacher told the students: don’t use pencils in exams!
c. The teacher told the students, don’t use pencils in exams.
d. The teacher told the students don’t use pencils, in exams!
e. The teacher told the students; don’t use pencils in exams.

30. He asked me whether he …. My car to go to the party.
a. can borrow c. ought borrow e. would borrow
b. might borrow d. may borrow

31. When she was getting dressed, …..
a. she yelled at me, don’t leave the door open
b. she yelled at me: ‘don’t leave the door open!’
c. she yelled at me: don’t leave the door open
d. she yelled at me: Don’t leave the door open
e. she yelled at me, ‘Don’t leave the door open!’

32.The secretary asked me …. With Mr. Slamet.
a. did I have an appointment c. whether I had an appointment e. that I had an appointment
b. how was my appointment d. when is my appointment

33. As the road to Puncak had become very slippery after the rain, I told the bus driver …..
a. do not speed c. let us not speed e. he does not speed
b. not to speed d. not speeding
34. Which one has the CORRECT punctuation?
a. Mother says to my sister, brush your teeth. d. Mother says to my sister, ‘Brush your teeth!’
b. Mother says to my sister: brush your teeth! e. Mother says to my sister, ‘brush your teeth’
c. Mother says to my sister: ‘ brush your teeth.’

35. Iwan wanted to know ……
a. from whom did Ari hear the news? d. from whom Ari heard the news
b. the news Ari hear from whom. e. Ari heard the news from whom?
c. who did Ari hear the news from?

36. Since the tourist had a map, he knew …..
a. where was the bus terminal d. the bus terminal was where
b. whether the bus terminal was there e. was the bus terminal there
c. where the bus terminal was

37. The angry father …. his son that he would stop giving him pocket money if he got into trouble once more.
a. scolded b. blamed c. suspected d. accused e. threatened

38. Be careful not to …. any words or punctuation marks in typing this reading text.
a. leave out b. leave off c. leave alone d. leave about e. leave of

39. On my way to the campus, I …. a friend whom I had not met for years.
a. ran off b. ran out c. ran down d. ran over e. ran into

40. If you have a sore throat, it is very difficult to …..
a. breathe b. digest c. chew d. bite e. swallow

41. The poor man was badly …. in the accident.
a. injured b. damaged c. harmed d. broken e. cut

42. As I don’t have enough capital to start a business, I would like to apply for a …. from the bank.
a. cash b. deposit c. share d. policy e. loan

43. When we were in Singapore, we asked a policeman for …. to the museum.
a. information b. permission c. advice d. direction e. requirements

44. The bird couldn’t fly because its wings were …..
a. destroyed b. hurt c. damaged d. spoiled e. injured

45. Aryanto was very …. for all the help of his friends when his house was flooded.
a. grateful b. pleasant c. rewarded d. admirable e. valuable

46. The little girl was excited when she saw her ….. in the pool of water.
a. mirror b. reflection c. imagination d. picture e. figure

47. When you visit foreign countries, you’ll ….. the differences in culture.
a. expose b. watch c. express d. notice e. expand

48. As he does not speak Indonesian, the French anthropologist hired ……. when he went to the eastern part of Indonesia to do research.
a. a surveyor c. a researcher e. a reporter
b. an assistant d. an interpreter

49. The company will not …… you unless you have some experience.
a. apply b. hire c. offer d. rent e. dismiss

50. He is very …… He left the front door unlocked last night.
a. careless b. lazy c. scared d. untidy e. nervous

1 komentar: