Rabu, 13 Januari 2010

Bimbingan belajar 3

BIMBINGAN BELAJAR INTENSIF
SMA NEGERI 1 BOJONEGORO
TAHUN AJARAN 2009-2010

MATA PELAJARAN : BAHASA INGGRIS
KELAS : XII IPA/IPS
PERTEMUAN : III

Text 1

A new hearing device is now available for some hearing impaired people. This device uses a magnet to hold the detachable sound processing portion in place. Like other aids, it converts sound into vibrations. But it is unique in that it can transmit the vibrations directly to the magnet, and then to the inner ear. This produces a clearer sound. The new device will not help all hearing impaired people, those with a hearing loss caused by infection or other problem in the middle ear. It will probably help no more than 20 percent of all people with hearing problems. Those people, however, who often have persistent ear infections should find relief and restored hearing with the new device.

1. What is the author’s main purpose?
a. To describe a new cure for ear infections c. To urge doctors to use the new device
b. To inform medical personnel of a new device d. To explain the use of the magnet

2. It can be inferred from the passage that ….
a. This use of magnets is new c. Magnets can be dangerous for 80 percent of the people
b. Infections are in the inner car d. The new device is smaller than old ones

3. According to the passage, what does the device NOT do ?
a. Transmit sound the inner ear c. Produce clear sound
b. Help all hearing impaired people d. Change sound into vibrations

4. The sound-processing unit ….
a. is a magnet c. is placed in the middle ear
b. helps cure infections d. can be removed

5. The word “relief” in the last sentence means …..
a. less distress b. assistance c. distraction d. relaxation

Text 2
This text is for questions 6 to 12

Potassium argon dating, which is used to calculate the age of ancient volcanic rocks, and, in turn, to reveal the age of early man, has caused anthropologists to revise their estimates of the age of some Stone Age cultures. In the 1960s the early hominid sites at Olduvai Gorge in east Africa were estimated to be 1.8 million years old. This was older than had been previously thought. Now another site in East Africa, of later hominid activity, has been estimated as older than was once thought. Layers of the volcanic ash in the Olorgesaillie river basin in Kenya were formerly estimated to be about 500.000 years old, but now are more accurately dated at 700.000 to 900.000 years old.
Because of the many stone hand axes that have been uncovered, Olorgesaillie is considered a key site of stone Age culture. Researchers are continuing to date other sites of early hominid remains. Many are now wondering whether other key sites might also be pushed back in time by potassium argon dating.

6. The best title for this passage is ….
a. Early Hominid Sites c. Olduvai Gorge
b. Dating Early Sites d. Stone Age Culture

7. The main purpose of this passage is to …..
a. discuss new information c. compare two places
b. inform reader of a new technique d. propose an idea

8. Olorgesaillie is a key site because of ….
a. being very old c. being near a river
b. having volcanic ash d. having many axes

9. It can be inferred from this passage that the age of early hominid is determined by …..
a. the number of hand axes in the site c. The amount of activity shown by the site
b. The age of the rocks on the site d. The number of layers of volcanic ash

10. The word “remains” in line 11 is closest in meaning to ….
a. continues on c. dead bodies
b. parts not destroyed d. stays behind

11. Olorgesaillie is ….
a. older than Olduvai c. a han axe
b. a hominid remain d. a site

12. The age of the Olorgesaillie culture was determined from the …..
a. hand axes b. volcanic ash c. hominid activity d. river basin

Text 3
This text is for questions 13 to 15

A fox fell into a well and couldn’t get out. By and by a thirsty goat came along. Seeing the fox in the well it asked if the water was good. “Good”, said the fox “It’s the best water I’ve tasted in all my life. Come down and try it yourself.”
The goat was thirsty so he got into the well. When he had drunk enough, he looked around but there was no way to get out. Then the fox said, “I have a good ides. You stand on your hind legs and put your forelegs against the side of the well. Then I’ll climb on your back, from there. I’ll step on your horns and I can get out. And when I’m out, I’ll help you out of the well.”
The goat did as he was asked and the fox got on his back and climbed out of the well. Then he coolly walked away. The goat called out loudly after him and reminded him of this promise to help him out. The fox merely turned to him and said; “if you only had thought carefully about getting out, you wouldn’t have juped into the well.”
The goat felt very sad. He called out loudly. An old man walking nearby heard him and put a plank into the well. The goat out and thanked the old man.

13. The text tell the story of ….
a. a fox c. a fox and a goat e. the goat and an old man
b. a goat d. an old man and the fox

14. Paragraph 2 mainly tells …..
a. how the fox helped the goat d. the fox’s idea how to get out of the well
b. why the fox got into the well e. how both the goat and the fox got out of the well
c. how the fox got out of the well

15. “The goat did as he was asked ….” (paragraph 3)
What does the above sentence mean?
a. The goat drank enough and looked around
b. The goat came down to the well and drank
c. The goat called out loudly after the fox got out
d. The goat waited someone who might help him
e. The goat stood on his hind legs and put his forelegs against the said of the well.






Text 4
This text is for questions 16 to 18

















16. What is the advertisement about?
a. Leasing office space d. Availability to get unique opportunities
b. Buildings in business districts e. Hotels and restaurants in the down town
c. Conveniences offered by the company

17. Which of the following is not close to the building?
a. Parks c. Restaurant e. business services
b. Hotels d. Shopping centers

18. “For leasing information call 303-572-5947.”
The underlined word means …..
a. Purchasing b. building c. selling d. buying e. renting

CLAUSE

19. My grandmother couldn’t remember …….. she had put her scissors.
a. the place which c. which place e. whatever place
b. where in d. where

20. I don’t know …….. last night.
a. what time mother wants to come back d. what time would mother come back
b. what time mother came back e. what time mother comes back
c. what time did mother come back

21. I shall ask them …..
a. who is the lady in the kitchen d. who the lady in the kitchen is
b. who the lady is in the kitchen e. who in the kitchen the lady is
c. who is the kitchen is the lady

22. Mr. Usman is a friendly person. We visited him last Sunday.
a. Mr. Usman, who visited him last Sunday, is a friendly person.
b. Mr. Usman is a very friendly person, whom we visited last Sunday.
c. Mr. Usman, whom we visited last Sunday is a friendly person.
d. Mr. Usman that visited us last Sunday is a friendly person.
e. Mr. Usman, who we visited last Sunday, is a friendly person.

23. The pen ….. I borrowed from him is missing.
a. who b. whom c. where d. which e. in which


24. The child lives next door. The child is playing with my sister.
The best combination is ……
a. The child that is playing with my sister lives next door
b. The child who lives next door is playing with my sister
c. The child who is playing with my sister lives next door
d. The child which lives next door is playing with my sister.
e. My sister who is playing with the child lives next door

25. The old lady ……. umbrella was stolen was very angry.
a. who b. whoever c. whom d. whose e. which

26. Have you ever been to the place ….. ?
a. which Marry was born d. was Marry born
b. where Marry was born e. Marry was to be born
c. that Marry was born

27. This is a place …..
a. many people come c. that many people to come e. many people come to it
b. what many people come d. where many people come

28. The book …… is very expensive.
a. I want to buy it c. I want to buy e. what I am to buy
b. which to buy d. what to buy

29. Here is the teacher ……
a. whose English is very good d. whose very good English
b. which English is very good e. whose English is good English
c. whose English very good

30. The pen …… I borrowed from him yesterday is in my bag.
a. why b. when c. where d. what e. which

31. Branco asked …..
a. what Mr. John called for d. did Mr. John call for?
b. what for did Mr. John call? e. Mr. John what to call for
c. what Mr. John call for

32. ……. I spoke, all friends always pay close attention to me.
a. whatever b. what c. why d. which e. whom

33. Angga : Do you play trumped, Candra?
Candra : Yes, but I’d rather play guitar
This means :
a. Candra likes playing guitar better than trumpet d. Angga plays guitar and trumpet
b. Candra likes playing trumpet very much e. Angga doesn’t play trumpet
c. Candra doesn’t play guitar

34. Martin : Is your father a teacher?
Dave : No, he works for a private company
Martin : So does my father.
From the dialogue we know about …..
a. Only Martin’s father works for a private company d. Dave’s father is a teacher
b. Only Dave’s father works for a private company e. Their father are teacher
c. Their fathers work for a private company]

35. Nindya : Excuse me. Do you know if the train to Surabaya is on time?
Octan : No, I’m afraid it’s going to be fifteen minutes late.
From the dialogue we know that Nindya is asking for …..
a. advice b Opinion c. Something d. permission e. information

36. Anton : Hilman, look at the clouds. May be the football game will be postponed ….
Hilman : It’s likely. It will have heavy rain.
Anton : I think so
The underlined utterance expresses ….
a. feeling b. warning c. possibility d. agreement e. impossibility

37. Father : Santi, I’m very thirsty.
….. , will you?
Santi : It’s my pleasure Dad.
a. I need water d. Do you have some water
b. Get me a glass of water e. I don’t have any water
c. Will I give you a glass of water

38. Deni : You look sad, Rena. What’s the matter?
Rena : No luck, Deni. I failed in the test.
Deni : It’s too bad ….. you still have a chance.
a. it’s a pity, isn’t it? c. That’s the way it goes e. what a pity
b. Better luck next time d. that a shame

39. Anwar stops someone in the street. He wants to know the Kawanua Hotel. He should say,
Anwar : ……. Is this the right to ‘Kawanua hotel’?
Allan : I’m sorry. I’m a stranger in this place.
a. Attention please c. I’m hopping to know e. Excuse me
b. I beg your pardon d. I’d like to see

40. Monica : I haven’t read to day’s newspaper
Would you mind lending me your, Anto?

41. Anjar : I will celebrate my birthday tomorrow. Would you?
Anita : I’d love to but I think I can’t. I have to look after my at home.
The expression in bold type means that …..
a. Anjar doesn’t celebrate her birthday
b. Anita will come to Anjar’s birthday celebration
c. Anjar doesn’t want Anita’s birthday celebration
d. Anita will not come to Anita’s birthday celebration
e. Anjar’s want to look after Anita’s sister]

42. Irvan : Why do we have to reduce pollution, Sir ?
Teacher : To keep our earth clean and healthy.
What did Irvan ask the teacher ? He asked the teacher …….
a. wether they have to reduce pollution
b. if they have to reduce pollution
c. why they had to reduce pollution
d. why do they have to reduce pollution
e. does he have to reduce pollution

43. Ani : Hello Yeni. I am sorry I can’t help you prepare the dishes. I have a terrible headache
right now.
Yeni : …… But, don’t worry about that. You may take a rest. I will ask another person to help me.
The right expression to express symphaty is………..
a. I am delighted to know it. d. I wish I could prepare it.
b. I am sorry to hear that. e. It’s not your business.
c. It is your fault.




44. Dody : Do you think that the brown horse will win the race ?
Nano : I’m not sure. You can see the black one is following it closely.
From the dialogue we know that Nano feels …… whether the brown horse Will we the race.
a. Hopeless c. happy e. uncertain
b. Disappointed d. worry

45. Hani : How was your vacation ?
Rida : It was raining all them time. I wish I could have gone out.
From the dialogue we know that……….
a. Rida had very nice vacation d. Rida could go out
b. Rida did not have a vacation e. The whether is nice.
c. Rida could not go out

46. Rina : May I go to Pangandaran, Mom ?
Mother : Yes, but don’t forget to take care of yourself.
Rina : Thanks, Mom.
From the dialogue above, we know that mother ……. Rina to go to Pangandaran.
a. allows c. forbids e. stops
b. orders d. avoids

47. X : Excus me, ……. Sir ?
Y : Oh no thanks you. I can handle it.
a. what can I do for you d. can you help me
b. can you do me a favour e. could you do something for me
c. can I do something for you

48. Dinar : I am sorry, I cannot join you to see the concert tonight. I have an English test
tomorrow.
Roni : Never mind ……. We can see it together another day.
a. Gladly c. Frankly e. Doubtfully
b. Hopefully d. Surely

49. Ayu : Where were you last night ? I called you but no one answered.
Ratih : I’m sorry. I was visiting my grandma. She has been ill for almost a week and she is
hospitalized now.
Ayu : ……. I hope she gets better soon.
a. I can’t visit her d. It must be very serious
b. I’m sorry to hear that e. That’s very kind of you
c. Thank you for telling the news

50. Wido : Would you like me to carry these books, sir ?
Mrs. Sumadi : Sure. Thanks you very much.
The underlined expression show ………..
a. offering to do something d. disagreeing with someone’s opinion
b. asking to do something e. greeting someone
c. apologizing for someone’s mistake

1 komentar: